Tuesday 19 October 2010

Write about a memory from your childhood

Task

Write about an incident from your childhood. It could be:

  • something funny or annoying that happened at school
  • a holiday you particularly remember
  • a time when you did something naughty
  • a party or family celebration

For Example



First of all, let me tell you that my father used to be a dentist.  He fixed people's teeth.

One day, when I was 6 years old, I was sitting in class listening to my teacher.  She was reading us a book called "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."   Suddenly Mrs Basson, another teacher who taught the older children, came rushing into our classroom.  She was a big, loud woman who used to shout a lot and pinch our ears and I was quite scared of her.  She said in a loud voice, "I want Myburgh!"  Myburgh was my surname. Then she grabbed me by the arm and walked me out of the classroom and down the school corridor. I was terrified.  I didn't know what was going to happen. Maybe I had done something wrong and she was going to pinch my ear!  

But she didn't.  She walked me to her classroom and made me stand in front of all the children.  Everyone was looking at me.  I didn’t know where to look so I looked down at my feet.  Then she said, "Myburgh, open your mouth and show them your teeth!"  So I did. What else was I to do?   Then she said  "Students, look at his teeth.  These are the teeth of a dentist's son.   Look how they sparkle and shine!  You too can have teeth like this if you look after them!"  Then she said "Thank you Myburgh - you can go back to your class now."   I ran out of the classroom, wishing that my dad was an engineer or a business man or fireman - anything but a dentist.

No comments: